Luangliam

The Value Of A Year Of Life

The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the LORD lack no good. – Psalm 34:10.

I posted this on my wall (facebook..ain’t that obvious by now? :D). Few ‘likes’ and ‘comments’. Among the comments, an old friend had posted a link to a community page of Stock Exchange of Mizoram which made me think harder about the whole episode of me posting something I scarcely posted on my wall and, friends reading the same on it!

The Stock Exchange of Mizoram is nothing to be compared with the BSE nor the Wall Street, however, as I was looking at the page, something dawned on me. Yes, something about the value of life..well, what a person’s life is worth.

It took me back to December 2011. I was packing for home, to spend the most beautiful season of the year – Christmas season at home. As I finished packing my clothes, before packing my notebook, I accessed my bank account, the one my employer uses for crediting my monthly pay.

I did a quick calculation and worked out how much money I made in a year. Suddenly, a question struck me! Looking at the amount, I asked myself, “Is this what a year of my life is worth?”. I looked at the numbers again while the same question kept ringing in my head. I found it hard to believe that my one year’s life is worth so low. But then, before I could figure it all out, my phone rang and I had to close my notebook, packed it along with other stuffs and went out, to the car which was already waiting for me.

As we were driving out of the campus, the city lights were shining so beautifully and some Diwali decorations were still hanging brightly on some buildings. I was still perturbed by the question of how much a year of my life was worth. I reclined on the seat and closed my eyes as we zoomed past the heavy traffic. Then a thought entered my mind. Is it not crazy to put a price on one’s life like that? To measure one’s life’s worth in terms of money.

Yes, it definitely is crazy. I realized that what my one year’s life was worth should never be measured from how much money I made in a year, but, from how much fun did I have. Looking back at the year which was slowly becoming ‘last year’ then, I reminisced on the past. It had been a good year, eventful and filled with fun. I smiled then. It didn’t really matter how much money I’ve accumulated in my account, that’s just a bonus! The realization that I had at that moment, was one of the best intuitions I’ve ever had in a year!

The value of one’s life should never be measured from the numbers displayed on his bank account, but from the number of lives he touched, laughter, smiles and joys he brought into the lives of others. Because, I’m telling you, that’s the best way to live a fun-filled life. Ain’t that a good philosophy?

(Saptawng hrethiam lote khan lo ngaithiam hram teh u – All rights and wrongs reserved 😀 James Famkima)

Related posts

Ka nupui mawlh kha

lr hlonchhing

Sava Inleng ka nei a.

mate ainawn

Zirtirtu á¹­ha

Pakak

20 comments

Aryan January 20, 2012 at 9:04 AM

tha e

Guillermo endara January 20, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Pawt thla phawt anga chhiar dawn mawni le. chhiar ang

Dr Mahminga Sailo January 20, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Tawnhriat ngei hi chu a hlu bik ngawt mai… (Y)

Krismas i hman hma hauhin, Krismas rah i lo tem der tawh a nih chu. A hlu em asin. Ka lawmpui a che… (G)

lr hlonchhing January 20, 2012 at 9:27 AM

lr hlonchhing January 20, 2012 at 9:32 AM

A ni reng a ni. Nun hlutna hi sum hlutna nena tehkhin chi a ni lo. Nun hlutna hi thaw kan thawk tam lama teh chi a ni hek lova, kum tamna kan belh mai zawk a ni. Nun hlutna tak erawh NUN TAM neih hi a ni.
Good post (Y)

Pakak January 20, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Thil reng reng hi chu a tehna a zir hi a ni reng a ni.. (Y)

(sum lah pai hi pawimawh viau mahse hlimna tluan tling min thlen tu a ni lo…khawl á¹­una hman phal mang loh te hi a ho ka ti… :p )

Maisek January 20, 2012 at 9:47 AM

You got the point! Bless you… (Y)

James Bond January 20, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Stock Market of Mizoram? A hming atan chuan (Sensex and tih ang deuhvin) Zosex ti ve mai ila tha lawng maw?
OK. Thu puiah lut ta ila. Kristinna ka hmuh dan leh Isua sawi ngun taka ka ngaihtuahin ka doctrine ve ah chuan relationship hi a pawimawh ber ani. Midang kan treat dan hi tehna pawiamwh ber ani. Kan ei leh in lam ani lo.

XaiA January 20, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I chang thlan khi nizan khan ka lo chhiar chiah maw le!

Xonas January 20, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Tha khawp mai. Ka like chiang e

James Bond January 20, 2012 at 10:45 AM

OT lawk:
Published in Hindustan Times front page:

MANIPUR WOMAN RAPED IN DWARKA

New Delhi: A 20-year old woman working in a Gurgaon spa was raped by two persons in Dwarka on Wednesday night.

Police said the woman from Manipur took a lift from a man outside her office around 8.45 pm to reach her home in Mahipalpur. She was forcibly taken to Dwarka Sector 20 and raped repeatedly.

The police raided several places in Gurgaon. “We found a debit card, which could be of the accused. We have identified two suspects” a police official said.

Front page a tho “NRI molested in Delhi 5-star spa” an ziak bawk.

aduhi January 20, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Good post.
ps. can you email me at aduhi04@gmail.com

ChhanaPa January 20, 2012 at 12:24 PM

A tha e. (Y)

Ignatia (33-115 AD) January 20, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Awesome!

^-||R@lT€||-^ January 20, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Good post

sheldon January 20, 2012 at 2:49 PM

A va ‘cool’ ve. Post tha hle mai. Tamtak nei a ngui bur ai chuan nei tam em em lo mahila hlim ila.

coolsoul09 January 20, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Post ve pawh hian kan vil hman ngang lo a ni e. Buai deuh a ni..Online reng chung pawhin ka en hman ngang lo..tikhawpa buai hi chu thlakhatah vawikhat pawh awm ziah dawn se..ka bang duh hial ang!

In comment hram hram thin a. Ka lawm takzet e.

century child January 20, 2012 at 4:34 PM

(Y)

lrpa January 20, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Good post (Y)
mahse kan ti hram ange, from how much ‘fun’ did I have..
he lai tak hi a nalh chiah lo anih hi..fun tih hian a tha zawng leh tha lo zawng pawh a huam thei a..sex party te pawh a huam thei a 🙂
‘but from the number of lives he touched, laughter, smiles and joys he brought into the lives of others’ hi ziak tho mahla..fun hi a ‘serious’ lo ani. He aiah ‘we’ hmang ta bawk la.
9.9/10.. 🙂

coolsoul09 January 20, 2012 at 11:33 PM

@lrpa, ‘a time wasted for having fun is not a wasted time’ an tih kha maw… 😀 Sex Party te em em phei chu.. 😀